Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Monday, May 02, 2005

Wearing well

I promised myself I would have some fresh air this holiday weekend to break up the time spent in front of a computer. I managed 20 minutes this afternoon, sitting with my Spanish books in the back garden, before the rain fell. This all counts towards my Vitamin D intake. I like the outdoors, I really do. I'm just not always sure what I should be doing outdoors. I know where I am in front of the computer.

Still, at least I haven't been working, as in working for the employer who pays the wages. I've been doing a certain amount of communicating, reading and building connections. All good stuff.

I will get out more now that it's May. It's time to look out the spring/summer wardrobe - all those clothes that aren't actually stored away neatly in a wardrobe but sit in a great (washed) heap in the back room waiting for the warmer weather and lighter evenings to come round. It's more exciting this way, not being able to see all the possibilities at once. Every year I discover old friends - a shirt, a pair of shorts - "that's where you got to!" - and they rise to the top of the pile to become favoured garments for the next two months.

That's how life is - this rise and fall, the rough and tumble of the laundry pile. Soon I'll be ironing out the creases of winter, blowing off dust and cat hairs, letting my skin breathe.

There could be plans for a school reunion - although maybe not till 2010. It's 20 years since class of 1985 left Whitecross High School. A lot has changed with the school in those 20 years. (There is now a school website, which appears abandoned and badly needs updating. Perhaps while they're about it the web manager could learn how to spell 'governors'. It always helps if educational institutions can spell.)

I'm one of only 3 from our year who have dared to put photos on the Friends Reunited website. What that says about us, I'm not sure. However, I heard from one of the other photo-posters this week. He reckons I haven't changed a bit. Ah well, perhaps that means I did have an idea at 16 of who I was or was going to be. The glasses (a relatively recent addition, since 1998) and even shorter short hair might not be ageing me just yet, but give it time.

2010 it is. We still don't know who will organise this reunion but my old schoolfriend reckons this "would give us 5 yrs to get in touch with everyone, and enough time for all of us to get rid of those flabby bits etc."

On second thoughts, let's have it this year, while some of the bits are not quite as flabby as they might be.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home