Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Wear with Pride

This week upon my wrist I wear a band.
It says end homophobia. It’s pink
and made from silicone - designed to stand
hard knocks, demand attention, make you think.
I’m waiting for the first engaged response,
for someone who will read the message whole,
not those who, from embarrassment, ensconce
themselves in ignorance. It could cajole
another to come out, to know they aren’t
alone; perhaps encourage others to
condemn discrimination, so they can’t
refuse to bid such prejudice adieu.
Ironic, then, I don’t wear everywhere,
in case the homophobes are waiting there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home