Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A right to-do

I can only eat crisps with my left hand - that's the one that puts the crisps into my mouth. I have to hold the bag with my right hand. Just like I have to hold the phone to my right ear. I'm righthanded which means if I write while I'm on the phone, my left arm crosses over my chest, keeping the phone to the right ear. Any different and it's thoroughly uncomfortable.

I guess we all show a preference for left or right in different activities. My side of the bed is the right. In the bath, I have to face the door. This means my head is always at the tap end. I've learnt to just get on with that discomfort. Better this than someone unknown creeping up on me when I'm at my most vulnerable.

Is this the Psycho shower scene I've ingested? I'd like a shower but there isn't one. The priority is a new boiler before a shower. The boiler is twenty-three years old and you can't get replacement parts any more. The priority at one time, I remember, was new carpet before installing a shower. The bedroom floor is still bare hardboard. The decision now may be carpet or laminate. Or just do nothing at all. Leave things as they are for long enough, you stop noticing.

It's time to take more notice.

I reckon habits are sometimes formed through inertia, until eventually it's the not doing, not seeing which becomes uncomfortable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home