Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Can you smell something?

Someone ended up at my website today after doing a keyword search for "lesbian and sniffing". I couldn't recall writing much of interest about having a bad cold, because I'm sure that's the only kind of sniffing being referred to. Poor little lesbian, stuck at home with only a runny nose for company, turns to the web to seek out other sinus-blocked dykes for afternoon sniffs and sympathy. Or something like that.

"Lesbian and sniffing". Hmmm - it's not the best personal ad I've ever seen.

So I had to go and remind myself what my website has to do with sniffing. Fortunately, I found this pretty innocuous passage:
Specimens of lesbian writing are sometimes still disguised specimens. I play detective, then, sniffing out the codes which may eventually spell from apparently nothing L-E-S-B-I-A-N: it's the businesss of creating language from silence.

That's alright, then. It's only me playing bloodhound - sniffing out the lesbian on the page. If she's there I'll find her.

All this has got me thinking, though. Do lesbians sniff more than other women? Is there a specifically lesbian style of sniffing? Is all this sniffing an elaborate performance to attract a mate, waiting for the gallant dyke to pull out that display handkerchief from her top pocket and save the day? ...

Ok, so maybe I've ventured too far into fantasy fashions. Exactly which handkerchief and whose top pocket am I referring to? I'm not really sure, but there's probably velvet sewn up in there somewhere. At least there's not a monocle in sight. For that we'd need a whole new chapter, right? "Lesbian and squinting"!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home