Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

A Cut Above

Out on a pink dike

I've been having more hair-inspired conversations than usual this week. Perhaps it's because I actually discovered what it's like to have head hair of measurable proportions on Friday. I think a bright pink bob suits me pretty well, but I wasn't keen on the need to keep brushing hairs out of my eyes. How does anyone live with a floppy fringe?

Can a year really have passed since I last donned the pink for Wear it Pink day? Loved the suit. The perfect poser's attire. So I struck that pink pose and you see me here as a piece of street art - the kind that doesn't want to blend too easily into the background.

I won't be growing my hair. The act and art of head shaving is far too special. Elsewhere this week, I've been forming head shaving connections through hair-inspired confessions at The Book of Kellies and an invitation to visit Head-Liner.com, which pleased me with this objective: to "uphold the image of the bald head through experiences, research and community outreach". That's all fine by me. I think of myself as shaved rather than bald, but I'm all for experiences, research and community outreach. Sounds strangely like my life. Yes, I've done a bit of each of those things.

If you haven't seen it yet, go out and get a copy of the new Diva magazine (December 2005 edition). It arrived in the mail today. Proudly sport your shaved head and your unshaved armpits. (The weather is unseasonably mild for November so it's still distinctly possible to display both this time of year.) Heads don't need to be hairy in my world, but armpits do. It's about time a lesbian magazine displayed the truth on its front cover. Ok, I'm sure there's a website out there upholding the image of the bald armpit but it's not for me and I'm not going there. Not even to look a little more pink!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home