Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

And other acronyms beginning with C

Sharon Gless as Christine CagneyThank goodness I'm not the only one who remembers CLASS - the Cagney and Lacey Appreciation of the Series Society, a UK fan club that I joined in 1986. It continued until the very early 1990s, when it almost seamlessly morphed into an appreciation group for Sharon Gless alone, who was then starring in The Trials of Rosie O'Neill. I have a yellow rose (Rosie) pin badge to prove my interest continued.

I've just come across an article in Attitude, a UK gay male fashion magazine, from before it had a web presence. Fortunately, the author, David Spedding, has created his own archive, and this is from May 2001. This paragraph stood out:
It's now two decades since the show first appeared on American screens. It was cancelled three times in its existence, re-instated twice as a result of public outcry. Plainly, there's still the hugest affection for Cagney & Lacey. An internet fansite still exists, the cannily-named Cagney And Lacey Infortainment Terminal. Or, acronymically-speaking, CLIT. "I love that," laughs Gless today. "How great is that? And there's the Cagney and Lacey Appreciation of Series Society in the UK, or CLASS. Clit and class," she chuckles. "No shame in either of those!"
I love that too, Sharon. Even more, I love that you love it. Nothing can beat a bit of CLIT and CLASS!

David Spedding indicates that Christine Cagney wasn't just a lesbian icon:
Blonde, gorgeous, twinkly-eyed and blessed with the kind of deep-throated cackle that one associates with a '50-Woodbines-before-brekky' habit. She looked angelic, but could speak like a dimestore hooker when the occasion demanded it. That perfect blend of 'Hard-ass toughness' with 'heart-of-goldenness' that would subsequently establish itself as a pre-requisite for any potential shag. In short, she was my perfect boyfriend.
Ah, David, bless! But us dykes spotted her first!!

If any other members, or particularly the founders, of CLASS ever drop by this blog, please say Hi. Better still, if anyone is still keeping CLASS running in some form, it would be great if you could let me know. Ann Rutherford was the woman who wrote back to me in May 1986 after I made an early enquiry. I don't know what was in my original note, but she told me:

"Flattery always pays - and you have made sergeant in that!"

This is a lesson I've never forgotten, and better still, I didn't even need to sit the sergeant's exam.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 9:28 pm, August 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Nicki

    I can sneak in here and chatter nonsense while Eloise is away sampling the heady delights of my old Uni town.

    Regrettably I remember the series right from its earliest days. Not regrettably that it was, just regrettably that I remember it - no actually, sergeant, as you were, what I mean to say is, that while the fact of my being able to remember it is not, per se, regrettable, and reassuringly shows that at least some of the little grey cells in that sector of the orb are still functional, that I am able to recall that I was at that date already mature enough to appreciate the gorgeousness of said S Gless is more regrettable. Or maybe not.

    Rob

    ~Sigh~ she is no doubt, and was, indeed lovely.

     
  • At 10:47 pm, August 28, 2006, Blogger Nicki Hastie said…

    Hi Rob

    I'll happily chatter away about Sharon Gless. It seems she has all-round appeal.

    She gave me the excuse to stay in of a Saturday evening and feel good about staying in, when I might otherwise have felt very miserable because I didn't always have somewhere to go or someone to go out with. Not much could beat a date with Cagney.

    You shouldn't find it regrettable, Rob, that you remember the earliest days. We're both of an age to appreciate the gorgeousness of Ms Gless, so maybe this fact should actually make you feel younger.

    It would be regrettable if you had missed out altogether, don't you think?

    Nicki

     
  • At 8:54 pm, September 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very true Nicki.

    But then I am sure I should have lived in Georgian times (such symmetry, such grace)so there's no satisfying me!

    Rob

     
  • At 7:01 pm, October 13, 2006, Blogger Lou said…

    ah yes, but of course I still have the yellow rose pin...

    the gorgeousness of Ms Gless is undoubted.

     
  • At 5:50 pm, October 14, 2006, Blogger Nicki Hastie said…

    Hi Lou

    Yay! A true reveller in the gorgeousness of Ms Gless. We must hold on to our yellow rose pins. This is indeed a memento from our lives.

    Love,

    Nicki

     
  • At 2:43 pm, October 11, 2007, Blogger laura said…

    Hi Nicki

    Yes I remember CLASS I used to be a member to. I went to a convention in surrey it was great fun and we had a lot of laughs were you there? I am still a fan of cagney and lacey and I am now a member of the shron gless fan club.
    Hope you are well

    laura

     
  • At 8:41 am, May 05, 2018, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Nicki,
    Thank you for acknowledging my late, great, friend - David Spedding. He left us back in September of 2003, and I worry sometimes that the world will forget about him, and his genius. I miss him. He would have liked you and your witty writing style.

    Rachel

     

Post a Comment

<< Home