Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Bounce Appeal

What's a week off work for, if not a spot of bouncing? I've been partaking of that sport today. It's typical, really, that the latest UK heatwave should end just in time for me to take some leave away from the (paid) work desk. In some ways, this is not a bad thing, because it gives me the excuse not to leave the house too much, and I can chain myself to my own computer desk at home instead. Just think how guilty I'd feel if it was wonderfully sunny outside. I wouldn't mind a bit of that, though.

So - bouncing! What's that all about? Well, I'm supposed to be part of a Space Race, which involves walking to the moon in teams. I've been part of a work-based team doing this very thing since the end of January, wearing my pedometer at all times (except when sleeping), and I have been stepping (or yomping) away like a real trooper since then.

But it now seems that the bottom might have fallen out of this whole plan. Just when my bottom was looking particularly toned as well. It's motivation. There just doesn't seem to be enough motivation amongst the masses. I always knew it would probably take three years to reach the moon, and still I was prepared to surge forward into the great wild yonder.

Does that still not explain the bouncing? Well, one of these (as long as you put a bit of effort into it) is an extremely good way to clock up the steps. It's fantastic for dancing on. Easier on the knee and ankle joints, too. You have to start to think about these things at the age of 37.

It's not often I get out clubbing these days, so a living-room disco is a must, and the trampoline has to be an essential accessory. Perhaps even more vital than a mirrorball. I've been grooving away to 12"/80s/Dance and Floorfillers - Club Classics. What would I do without CD box sets? Turn up the bass, put on your bouncing boots and boogie ...

FrankThat's when I can actually get on the trampoline. It doubles as a cat bed, or so Frank the Cat thinks! It's the perfect size for him to sprawl out on or curl up to the curvy edges. Frank likes the trampoline so much he begrudges me using it, and I'm sure he'll start hiring it out to me by the minute soon, if only to safeguard his own position. Oh yes - that is (ahem) Flat Eric in the background. Remember him? Flat Eric is Sammy's (the other cat's) playmate. Don't ask! There are no pictures to accompany that story.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 8:53 pm, August 03, 2006, Blogger Eloise said…

    When I first read that I thought that you were working as a freelance bouncer for shits (which I suppose would involve randomly abusing drunk people and kicking men out of Starbucks for wearing trainers).

    Sounds like a great idea though, much more fun than a cross-trainer.

    Why don't you try and teach Frank to trampoline? It'd be the best youtube video ever.

    Eloise

     
  • At 11:18 pm, August 03, 2006, Blogger Nicki Hastie said…

    Hey Eloise,

    No, I haven't started moonlighting just yet - and if I do - I don't think it will be as a bouncer ;-) I'll stick to the trampoline for that.

    You know, you may have something with teaching Frank to bounce. He's very trainable, and he does climb onto the trampoline when I'm bouncing on it. Only thing is, he's 15 now and he has arthritis - poor thing.

    Still - don't rule out a video just yet!

    What are you listening to today? Even Wham! make it into the 12"/80s/Dance compilation with 'Everything She Wants'. There's a classic from Donna Summer - a 14-minute rendition of 'I Feel Love'. Not for everyone, I realise, but it certainly maintains stamina if you bounce for the whole song ...

    Nicki

     
  • At 10:47 am, August 04, 2006, Blogger Eloise said…

    Actually I woke up this morning with the bloody Puppini Sisters' Wuthering Heights in my head. I might have to go and try and reboot my head by whacking on Kate very loud. Other than that I am on a bit of a Patti Smith kick, and that new Peaches song.

    Poor Frank, breaks my heart, don't force him to bounce--I think he has earned the right to relax.

    Donna Summer? Shame on you! You can only justify dancing to her if you are very very drunk, and even then, it's pretty risky. My American friend Mark came over and he was so shocked that we were still playing 'I wanna dance with somebody', apparently they haven't played that song since 1989 in Miami.

    Have fun bouncing with Wham!
    Eloise

     
  • At 12:11 pm, August 04, 2006, Blogger Nicki Hastie said…

    Don't go blaming me for Donna Summer. I didn't ask for her to be on that CD. Now that she is, I'm simply making the best of things.

    I much prefer the Bronski Beat/Marc Almond 'I Feel Love Medley'.

    So much to listen to, so much choice. What shall we do with it all?

    Hmm, I think I might start the musical day right now with Bronski Beat and The Communards.

    Nicki

     

Post a Comment

<< Home