Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Hair to Stay

Good for Shazia Mirza, the British Muslim comedian, whose New Year's resolution was to stop shaving her body hair.

"The hairs are growing quite nicely, and I am now in a position to have my armpits styled and waxed, and my sideburns permed. I am learning to love my hair," she says.

Read the full article here

Is hair really one of the last taboos when it comes to the female body, as this article suggests? Is it true that hairiness will not be tolerated? The comments following this BBC article suggest there might be more diverse opinion lurking in our midst. This could be hopeful. But I realise that the people tempted to comment on women's hairiness are likely to be those who feel most strongly about the issue - for and against.

Why does this issue always capture the media spotlight in January? I last wrote on the subject in my Deeply Depilatory entry on 22 January 2006. Is it because most women can't be bothered to deal with their body hair during the winter months? Is hairiness tolerated only as long as it's covered up? Ah, I see it's not just that. It's also because Shazia is making a TV programme for the BBC, where hairy women will take part in a fashion show, modeling lingerie.

Why does it have to be lingerie? Who needs to be convinced that hairy armpits and hairy legs (and while we're at it, hairy groins) are sexy? I've known this all my adult life.

Who else agrees? Come on - arms up!

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 2:35 am, January 13, 2007, Blogger Julie R. Enszer said…

    My arms up! Hairy pit exposed.

    Julie

     
  • At 2:35 am, January 18, 2007, Blogger Mary Bee said…

    I am a bald lesbo in touch with her fem nature. I shave my head but no where else. Who cares what anyone thinks. I sure don't.

     
  • At 8:37 pm, January 18, 2007, Blogger Nicki Hastie said…

    Hey Maryellen,

    Thanks for introducing yourself, and for the wonderful art at your blog.

    My hair is mine (wherever on the body it grows), and I'll do what I like with it. Quite right - I don't care what anyone thinks, as long as I love it.

    Nicki

    PS. I appreciate your exposure, Julie!

     
  • At 5:38 am, June 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Natural female hair growth on the legs, arms, pits and groin make them the most sexy and beautiful women in the world in spite of any body style, period!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home