Out on a dike

Out on a dike phr. [mid 19-C] (US) going out in one's best clothes. [DIKED DOWN] I'm out as a dyke, occasionally out with a dyke. What I do when I'm out on a dike can become your business once I write about it here.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Brain dump

I've just done another gender-based quiz (thanks for telling me about it, Eloise), and it seems I pretty much have an average female brain. These were my results:

My brain has male and female traits when it comes to spatial ability.

I definitely have a female-type brain when it comes to spot the difference, which makes me good at recalling landmarks to get from one place to another. Could come in handy for some of those women's or Sunday Celebs magazine competitions, too, if I could be bothered (yawn!)

My left thumb is always on top when I clasp my fingers together, which suggests the right half of my brain is dominant. This means I may excel in visual, spatial and intuitive processes. I'm a right-hander but I do a lot with my left hand, and I think my left hand wants me to do more with it so that's why it's dominant ;-)
Apparently, right-brained people may be better fighters and artists.

I'm a slightly better empathiser (11) than systemiser (9) which suggests a female brain. It means I'll always say sorry when I drop the flat pack furniture on your toe ;-)

I'm sensitive to other people's emotions when it comes to looking at people's eyes. Women generally fall into this category.

The length of my fingers, when comparing the ring to index fingers has a ratio closer to that of men than women. So maybe I was exposed to all that testosterone in my mother's womb! You know, I'm rather glad I have a masculine finger ratio.

I prefer more masculine faces. This is no surprise. It's important to know that I was shown women's faces to choose masculine traits in. I guess I do prefer a long, broad and lower jaw and more pronounced cheekbones. Do masculine faces have more pronounced cheekbones? The BBC seem to think they do.

I thought I was good at rotating images. I was good at this in 3rd-year Woodwork. Maybe I'm out of practice. They let me do Woodwork as a girl, but not Technical Drawing (that was out of bounds), so it's the schooling at fault. If I had have done Technical Drawing, I'd be ace at this! Those with a female brain or an arts background fall in the range I did. Oh well - I've got one of those arts backgrounds! That's schooling for you, too.

I definitely outscored anyone - male or female - on the words test. A total of 26 words compared with 11.4 average for men and 12.4 average for women. I associated 18 words with grey and named 8 other words that mean happy. Maybe I've simply got verbal diarrhoea.

If I was doing the test with someone and asked to split the money - well - it stands to reason I'd split the money with them. Which means "split", down the middle. Come on, guys! That's the meaning of split. So I went fifty-fifty. And that is supposed to make my testosterone levels measly! Well, I know better. It's all in the fingers - ha ha!!

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 10:41 pm, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wotcha Nicki!

    Eloise causing you (and now me) to fritter away the useless hours eh?!

    Well the lil ole test just about summed me up perfectly I think.

    Both the angles and the rotation thingy I scored full marks on - and fast fast fast too.

    All the rest I was pretty much average male except the word test where I failed to notice I had to use commas and ended up with "two" words as a result, and the money splitting where I decided that half of £50 is £49! Heh.

    So from that I conclude that I'm basically stupid with flashes of brilliance.

    Accurate I think.

    La di da.

    Rob

     
  • At 10:01 am, February 17, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok - so I just found the previous quiz - I always do things backwards.

    And now I'm totally confused:

    "You Are 30% Boyish and 70% Girlish
    Even if you're not a girl, you're very feminine.
    You're in touch with your feelings, and your heart rules you.
    A bit of a emotional roller coaster, one moment you're up and the next you're down.
    But no matter what, you try to be as cute and perky as possible."

    A girl who is good with angles and mental manipulation
    of complicated shapes
    !

    What gives?

    At least I know why Eloise can boss me. Ha!

    Rob

     
  • At 9:43 pm, February 18, 2007, Blogger Nicki Hastie said…

    Hey Rob!

    Thanks for sharing your results. It's good to be in touch with your feelings, but don't take it all to heart :-)

    Still, we all like to find out who we are, so it's not such a useless way to pass the hours, eh?

    I reckon you should think of yourself as "cute with flashes of brilliance". Now, that's something to be! I'd best not comment on the perky.

    "A girl who is good with angles and mental manipulation of complicated shapes" ... you're not related to Carol Vorderman, by any chance, are you?

    Nicki

     

Post a Comment

<< Home